Both the Men's and Women's Swim Teams at Carrboro High School took second place at the State 1A/2A Championship meet earlier this month. The Men's Team, looking for their fourth consecutive championship, finished with 237.5 points to the NC Science and Math's 281 points. The Women's Team earned 161 points, but Raleigh Charter won the event with 376 points.
"This is my first season to coach Carrboro and I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of such an outstanding group of swimmers and parents," said Julie Neal, who coaches both teams. "I want to thank everyone for all of their hard work and support. Go Jags!" she added.
On the Men's Team, several swimmers earned individual honors:
- Tom Bilden won first place individually and set a new State 1A/2A record of 51.34 for the 100 yard butterfly;
- Justin Morrell tied for first place in the 50 yard freestyle and placed second in the 100 yard freestyle;
- the 400 Freestyle Relay team, made up of Will Macmillan, Bilden, Morrell, and Strosnider, took first place, swimming a 3:13.72, which was .23 seconds from breaking the state record set by Carrboro HS last year; and
- the 200 Medley Relay team, made up of Morrell, Aidan Marshall, Bilden and Sam Strosnider, took second place.
The Men's Team set three new school records:
- 200 Medley Relay, Morrell, Marshall, Bilden and Strosnider, in 1:38.75, breaking 1:41.13;
- 50 yard freestyle by Morrell in 21.76, erasing 22.04 (held since 2007-08); and
- 100 butterfly by Bilden in 51.34, improving his record from last year and also setting a new state record.
Strosnider, a senior, was also named a Scholastic All-American. To qualify, Strosnider must achieve a 2011 Junior Bonus Time Standard, which is set by USA Swimming, between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013, as well as have a 3.5 GPA in academics for the 2012-13 school year.
The Women's Team also set three new school records:
- 200 Medley Relay team, Morrell, Abrams, Peterman and Spang, set a new record time of 1:54.67 breaking 1:57.65;
- Morrell crushed the old time of 1:01.77 in the 100 yard butterfly with 58:42; and
- Morrell cruised to a new record of 58:31 in the 100 yard backstroke, breaking the five-year old record of 1:02.12.
The Women's Team also took second place in the 200 Medley Relay, third in the 400 Free Relay, and fifth in the 200 Free Relay.
"My most outstanding moment of the year was standing on the podium and receiving our trophies and medals for second place for both the Women and Men," said Neal.
Members of the Women's Swim Team are: Leah Abrams*, freshman; Charlotte Costenoble*, junior; Eleanor Costley, junior; Chloe Deshusses*, junior; Katherine Dunleavy, junior; Madison Fishler, junior; Caitlyn Grant, sophomore; Claire Hanlon, sophomore; Maddie Macmillan, sophomore; Emily McDaniels*, junior; Logan Melville, sophomore; Mia Morrell*, freshman; Nancy Munguia, freshman; Claire Peterman*, senior; Hanna Peterman, sophomore; Madeleine Pletzke, freshman; Melissa Poole, junior; Kelsey Smith, sophomore; Madeline Smith, junior; Katie Spang*, sophomore; Rebecca Sullenger, freshman; and Brooke Zeman, freshman.
* named to State Team
Back to CHCCS website