Morris Grove Elementary participated in its first ever #grababook Day on Friday, December 4. The day was designed to build student reading stamina and promote a love of reading for all students and staff.
As a school, Morris Grove Elementary...
- Participated in Drop Everything and Read (DEAR) two times during the school day. During DEAR, all 558 students and 93 staff in the building read a book of their choice;
- Encouraged students to dress up as a character from their favorite book;
- Displayed a “Guess the Reader” wall at the school. Staff members picked their favorite book from the school library and snapped a photo hiding behind the book with just their eyes peeking out. Students were previously guessing who the staff member is, and the names were posted for students to check-in and see if they guessed correctly;
- UNC student-athletes from the baseball, track and field, tennis, and softball teams came to school to read with the elementary students. The athletes were also encouraged to dress up as a favorite book character;
- Listened to Aunt Chip and the Great Triple Creek Dam Affair by Patricia Polacco, read by Principal Amy Rickard;
- Staff had special shirts that said #grababook.