This summer, the Northside Elementary School Library was open to serve students residing in the general walk zone. Public library data suggests these students do not typically access the public library summer reading program. Coordinating a partnership with the Boys and Girls Club, the Chapel Hill Public Library and UNC athletics, the school library was open three days per week from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for a period of eight weeks. This initiative was made possible by a parent donor and the support of the Public School Foundation. Below is a quick snapshot of the summer.
- 848 total books checked out from the Northside Elementary School Library this summer
- 80 total students participated in some capacity
- 45 Boys and Girls Club students
- 35 students in the walk zone (not included in B&G club)
- 15 students attended daily
- 9 students reached full goal of 20 hours and turned in completed log (others kept a log but didn't necessarily record up to 20 hours)
- 5 Northside Elementary Schools teachers volunteered time to support and engage with students
- 4 middle school students/former Northside Elementary Schools students accessed the library and participated in programs
- 3 parents participated with their children
- 3 younger siblings of Northside Elementary Schools students participated.
- 1 incredible summer with lots of student engagement.